David A. Green Memorial Award
David Green—SAGE founder, monumental force, and radical visionary—revolutionized the way we think, feel, operate, and design environments for older adults. He is credited with developing the first households in a nursing home setting with the United States based upon an innovative approach for memory care supported by OBRA ’87. Because David was one of the founding members of SAGE and was instrumental in creating the major principles that guide it today, SAGE is pleased to administer this award.
The David A. Green Memorial Award provides an Environments for Aging Conference experience to a first-time attendee. This is a perpetual fund that continues to grow through generous contributions from the many supporters of David Green’s vision. Help us ensure the longevity and impact of the fund by making a contribution.
The 2021 Environments for Aging Conference is currently scheduled for August 28-31, 2021, in Chattanooga, TN
Applicants must be first-time Environments for Aging Conference attendees and have no more than five years experience in the senior-living industry.
The idea behind this award to is to make this conference experience a possibility for someone just getting started in the senior-living industry. Many SAGE members will tell you that EFA is simply the BEST conference out there for architects, designers, regulators, educators, students, consultants, providers, and others who are committed to excellence in senior living.
Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2021 David A Green Memorial Award.
- Full-conference registration for the Environments for Aging Conference and Expo, compliments of Emerald Expositions.
- Attend SAGE-sponsored sessions with a SAGE thought leader.
- Transportation–SAGE will arrange and prepay transportation to and from the conference.
- Lodging at conference hotel (Arranged and prepaid by SAGE).
- Meals and local transportation–Some meals are included with full-conference registration. Award recipient will receive a daily stipend to cover additional meals and local transportation.
- Networking opportunities with SAGE members and leaders at the SAGE member reception as well as scheduled meals with some of the greatest minds of SAGE.
- One-year complimentary SAGE membership.
- Award Value: Approximately $3,000. This is not a cash award.
2021 David A. Green Memorial Award Winner
Congratulations to Rebecca Soja for being selected as the 2021 recipient of the David A. Green Memorial Award. Rebecca is an architectural designer and researcher with HKS, Inc. Due to the cancellation of the 2020 EFA Conference, Rebecca will join the 2020 David A. Green Memorial Award winner at the 2021 conference.
2020 David A. Green Memorial Award Winner
Congratulations to Connor Chelmecki for being the 2020 recipient of the David A. Green Memorial Award. Connor is an architectural designer with Worn Jerabek Wiltse Achitects, PC. Due to the cancellation of the 2020 EFA Conference, Connor will join the 2021 David A. Green Memorial Award winner at the 2021 conference.
Past David A. Green Memorial Winners:
Perspectives on the Conference Experience
Shirah Cahill (2019) –
Landscape Designer, SWBR
“Being around the minds of SAGE and other leaders in the industry reaffirmed my belief that designing places for aging adults is a truly noble and important task that deserves and requires hard work, perseverance and the passion and desire to constantly improve your own practice.”